Samuel J. Lovetro
Web Developer & User Interface Designer
Tel: (585) 520-4909
User Interaction Designer / User Interface Designer
To find work in interaction design for consumer products, software applications or mobile / web.
TOOLS and CORE COMPETENCIES
Visual Instructional Designer, Rochester City School District February 2013 – May 2013
131 W Broad St, Rochester, NY 14614 • (585) 262-8100 • http://www.rcsdk12.org/
- Changed the default look-and-feel for Rochester City School District’s PeopleSoft intranet site.
Visual Interaction Designer, Eastman Kodak Company September 2011 – January 2012
343 State Street, Rochester NY 14650 • (585) 724-4000 • http://www.kodak.com
- Designed, produced, and maintained user interface layouts, interaction methods, graphical assets, and user interface specification documents, including coordinates documents and widget/asset libraries utilizing visual / user experience design best practices and corporate style guides.
- Worked in a team environment with Human Factors specialists, the user experience lead architect and the user interface creative director to design and implement product features for digital video cameras and software.
- Produced demos and interactive prototypes of UI solutions in Flash.
Web / New Media Designer (Ind. Contractor), Normal Communications October 2008 – Present
189 N Water Street, Ste 3, Rochester, NY 14604 • (585) 262-6030 • http://normalcommunications.com
User Interface Designer, Daktronics November 2002 – July 2011
66 School Street, Victor NY 14564 • (585) 924-5000 • http://daktronics.com
- Designed and coded Adobe Flash touchscreen user interface for the control of stage rigging. The design had to be complex enough for use in major International opera houses and simple enough for high school use. Created all graphics, data structures, work flows and APIs for a complex system.
- Wrote technical operation manuals and “quick start” user guides. Designed, illustrated, laid out and coordinated the production of these materials.
- Designed improvements to the interface beyond original scope, including multiple language support and interactive help screens.
- Managed progress of work between developers and bug reports.
- On a contract basis, revised existing touchscreen interface and created new features.
Graphic Designer (Ind. Contractor), UniteU Technologies Inc. June 2008 – June 2011
12 Pine Cone Drive, Pittsford NY 14534 • (585) 385-4209 • http://www.uniteu.com
- Designed skins for e-commerce suite and produced visual elements on a contract basis for agency customers. Clients included: Princeton University Store, the Shoe Station, Everything Buckeyes, Dakota Ammunition and the Air Force Museum Foundation.
Owner / Designer, Lovetro.com May 1987 – Present
36 Harlem Street, Rochester NY 14607 • (585) 520-4909 • http://www.lovetro.com
- Designed and maintained web sites for local small and medium sized businesses including development of content, design / formatting of pages, design of visual elements for pages, and ensuring that all relevant services were strategically and effectively integrated. Created custom-designed content management system. Also used WordPress blogging software as CMS for small sites.
- Consulted directly with clients to develop project specifications, release schedules and site improvements.
- Designed interactive online marketing and trade show booth materials for Nalgene Labware, Daktronics, Spectracom and RC Imaging. Designed software packaging for Xerox Corporation. Designed fliers, advertisements and packaging for local and national recording labels, including PolyGram.
User Interface Designer, Auragen Communications, Inc., June 2001 – August 2003
177 Anderson Avenue, Rochester NY 14607
- Designed and implemented series of unbranded interactive surveys for Miller Brewing Company. These questionnaires were created in Adobe Flash and controlled by XML for easy updating of question text, format and layout.
- Designed and implemented series of interactive learning modules for employee orientation use by Corning Incorporated and Monroe Community College. These modules were created in Macromedia Flash and included chapter quizzes and personalized certificates of completion.
- Designed and implemented international award-winning interactive tour of Frontier Corporation’s CyberCenter, a high-security data storage facility.
- Designed and implemented call center software to handle Xerox copier meter reads for Harris Interactive. Software needed to have sub-second response times and, as such, was built using XHMTL.
- Designed and implemented online payroll tutorial for Paychex Inc.
- Designed interactive meal planning and recipe search for Wegmans Food Markets.
Graphic / Web Designer, Auragen Communications, Inc., October 1996 – June 2001
177 Anderson Avenue, Rochester NY 14607
- Designed all printed corporate communications, including logo, stationary, business cards and web site. Designed all sites using a combination of hand coding and graphics created in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Designed award-winning web sites for Wegmans Food Markets, Nalge Nunc International, and Frontier Corporation. Also designed sitelets (small websites) for Eastman Kodak Company, Xerox Corporation and others. Art directed web site for Agrilink Foods (now Birds Eye Foods).
Daktronics Vortek Automated Control (VAC) Rigging System
- Entertainment Design (EDDY) Product of the Year 2004
- Architectural Record Innovative Product Award 2004
- Pro Lights and Staging News Top Products of 2003
- Lighting Dimensions International (LDI) Product of the Year — Rigging and Hardware 2003
Frontier CyberCenter Online Tour
- Web Marketing Association Award (WMA) Best Telecommunications Website 2002
Wegmans Food Markets website
- Web Marketing Association Award (WMA) Standard of Excellence 2001
- Rochester Advertising Federation (Addy) for Best Web Site 1999
Nalgene Outdoor website
- Rochester Advertising Federation (Addy) Best Web Site (Honorable Mention) 1999
Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro TN
Bachelor of Science (BS), Mass Communications, May 1987
This text can act as my letter of recommendation for your services. As you well know, we have worked together on numerous projects
for the past 10 years. The HMI that you have developed for us is like no other and really is a testament to your creativity, attention to detail and capability. You have always been attentive to our needs and realistically responsive to correct errors. I wish you the best of luck with your new endeavors.
Sam has a unique ability to deliver great work even when he’s given little direction, no assets, and an unreasonable deadline–so you can imagine how good it gets when he’s not working within these constraints! Sam is relentlessly creative and _never_ misses a deadline. He’s also an interesting guy who will challenge (in a good way) your perceptions of the world and your work. He brings a warmth and candor to the job which has been a significant factor in getting the team to work well together. Always kind, never dull, and ultimately reliable.
Sam Lovetro from the start surprised us with his skills and breadth of knowledge. At his interview with us he quickly showed us that he was experienced and understood very well what is required for great user interaction design. Although he can be perceived as quiet at times he is not bashful about jumping in with his comments and ideas when needed. Sam very quickly meshed with the Kodak user experience team and took on not only experience design work but also some responsibilities of our human factors team members. Sam came into our group and delivered the quality of work needed and did it on time. Sam supported both our commercialization and pre-commercialization projects. Sam was able to take direction from others but also was able to direct activities of an interaction design intern on our staff. Sam has done a great job and we appreciate his efforts.